50 Things to do before you’re 11 ¾

One of the most memorable things that emerged making Project Wild Thing, our new documentary, is the importance of letting children be independent and think for themselves.

So I am really pleased that, rather than asking adults, the National Trust has turned to children all over the UK to ask what should be in the ‘50 things’ list this year.

As the self-appointed marketing director of nature, I want to provide children with the best reasons and resources to get outdoors – but, at the same time, I want to avoid being prescriptive. That’s another reason why this list is so useful. It is a brilliant jumping off point from which to discover your own natural adventures.

We tested a lot of the ‘50 things’ ideas on children when we asked them to try out our Wild Time app.  Check it out here: http://wildtime.projectwildthing.com/

Here are the top 10…

Child playing in a tree, Dovedale, Derbyshire.

Child playing in a tree, Dovedale, Derbyshire. Copyright, ©National Trust Images/John Millar.

1. Climb a tree

While filming Project Wild Thing, we met a 12-year-old boy who had never climbed a tree. How do I do it?  he asked.  Just climb, we said.  His whoop from the top branch was amazing.

2. Roll down a really big hill

I’m doing a lot more rolling down hills nowadays. Thankfully, my children are still young enough not to be embarrassed. It is just not done for a grown man to roll down a hill – but it should be. My children love the movement, the sense of lack of control (sometimes bordering on panic), and the brilliant sense that you can be teleported from the top to the bottom, unchanged, except for being dizzier and grass-stained. I love it too.

3. Camp out in the wild

When children camp, there is just thin fabric between them and fairy tale wolves and monsters. Their imaginations cut loose. Fear is really important – yet we’re culturally hooked on protecting children from feelings of powerlessness. Camping is cheap, thrilling, and fun – a rare combination…

4. Build a den

Children spend so much time fully occupied with TV, computers, phones and toys that they rarely get time to relax in a quiet space. When they create that space themselves, they revel in the sense of achievement and control. I have watched children who struggle to concentrate for a moment in a classroom focus for hours on den construction – and then just sit and watch the world with the gentle focus that only a natural environment can provide.

5. Skim a stone

There are major prizes on offer in my family for stone-skimming. Each hop is a chocolate button. I get most of them, of course. There have to be some perks of being over 11¾…

6. Run around in the rain

Will some kind philanthropist please provide a free waterproof and pair of wellies for every primary school child in the UK? When we asked children what put them off the outdoors, the weather was always high on the list. But they didn’t concoct this mental barrier to going outside.  They learned it from us, their rain-shy parents. They absorb our worries and fears. In the last year filming PROJECT WILD THING, I’ve been soaked to the skin more often than in my previous 40 years put together. I am still a bit scared of getting a cold and frustrated about washing the mud out of 4-year-old ears. But the cackles of delight as rain drums on their cagoule hoods makes it worthwhile. My best game is to encourage the children to shelter under a thin tree, then shake it hard to dump a thunderstorm of droplets from its leaves onto us.

7. Fly a kite

One of my most treasured film clips is of my 81-year-old mother and my 5-year-old daughter crying with laughter as they repeatedly crashed my new kite into a hill. When I was a child, my kite broke every other flight. Now, for £10, you can get a virtually indestructible kite that can lift a child off its feet in in a force 4. I reckon you can get easily 100 hours of pleasure out of that.  Do the maths. It works out better than any other toy. The reason my daughter can now identify a lapwing is that one chased our kite. It was probably protecting its nest (sorry bird-lovers). She asked what’s that bird that flies like a raggedy bat? I wasn’t sure, but my mother knew.  And now we all do.

Visitors pond-dipping in the burn at Cragside, Northumberland.

Visitors pond-dipping in the burn at Cragside, Northumberland. Copyright ©National Trust Images/John Millar

8. Catch a fish with a net

One, two, three, four, five.  Once I caught a fish alive…. You know how it ends. But it doesn’t have to be just a nursery rhyme. It can be an accurate journal of next weekend.

9. Eat an apple straight from a tree

Before supermarkets, we had to be a bit more resourceful when it came to food. It was mostly sourced locally and sustainably and we knew where, precisely, it was coming from. Now we barely spare a thought for its origin. When I was young we picked apples from the trees that overhung our suburban route to school. Once September came, we would plan our blackberry excursions. I was really amazed at how few children have tried a wild blackberry or apple. And watching the progression of feelings as they do is hugely uplifting. As their fear of dirt, or poison, or bugs gives way to pleasure at the taste, you can see them joining the (sadly) increasingly exclusive club of people who know that there really is such a thing as a free lunch.

10. Play conkers

My 4-year-old son was obsessed with guns, knives – any kind of weapon. But by introducing him to conkers, we’ve managed to introduce an element of plant biology into his violence.

11. Scare your parents

This isn’t on the official National Trust list, but is my own personal plea. If you are under 11¾, please go outdoors and, by having fun, try to scare the bejesus out of your parents at least once a week. If you can’t expose the insanity of our risk-averse culture to them, no one will.

David Bond is a film-maker whose film ‘Project Wild Thing’ will be out this summer.

About these ads

15 Comments

1. Posted May 2, 2013 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

Reblogged this on Old School Garden.

2. Elaine
    Posted May 2, 2013 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

I was liking this until I got to number 8 – it is really necessary to encourage children to kill things? Can they not watch the beautiful fish, take photo of them, wonder at their movements, shapes and colours?

• Abbie
      Posted May 3, 2013 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

It’s only a fish people eat them.

• Elaine
        Posted May 4, 2013 at 1:33 am | Permalink

People also eat cows and pigs – so much land and water is needed for this (to raise them and grow crops, which could be fed instead directly to humans and help towards eradicating world hunger) and the United Nations say it is a major environmental destruction of our planet; just because something is done by the majority of the population doesn’t mean it isn’t negatively affecting society and should be encouraged.

• Nature Freak!
      Posted May 5, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

I agree with Elaine. Catching fish is an extremely stressful experience for them and can do serious harm. I have read research that states the large number of fish die within a day or so after being released due to the stress of being forced out of their environment and handled. Hooks also cause serious harm (I know this says catch with a net, but thought it was worth mentioning). Imagine being forced under water by a stranger, not having any awareness if you are going to be able to get back to the surface to breath. It’s a scary thought and must be terrifying for the fish.

I really feel we should be encouraging respect for the wildlife we share our planet with. There are so many other fascinating ways to interact with these beautiful creatures in a way that respects their lives and nurtures kindness and compassion in our children.

3. Cindy Stocks
    Posted May 3, 2013 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

Number 8 says catch a fish in a net, there’s nothing about killing them. They can be put into a bucket of water for a while then thrown back in and a net is far kinder than a fishing hook. Last summer I took a group of children to Brixham Harbour and we were trawling up crabs by the dozen. Each went into a bucket to be counted and at the end of the trip they all returned to the harbour depths and we all went home tired and happy.

• Elaine
      Posted May 4, 2013 at 1:40 am | Permalink

I suppose I find it difficult to understand what advantages we’re teaching children about disturbing and shocking a living creature which is no threat to you, and removing it from its habitat, to keep it trapped, rather than just observing and appreciating it from a distance and letting it live its life.

4. Posted May 18, 2013 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Psychological Help, Tips and Advice, learn how to get your Ex Boyfriend, Girlfriend, husband, wife or spouse
    back. You can always choose a box of her favorite chocolates, for
    example. However, believe it or not poems about getting back together actually can
    be quite powerful when attracting your ex back into your life.

5. Posted September 6, 2013 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I assumed this put up was
    once good. I do not understand who you might be but definitely you’re going to a famous blogger when you are not already. Cheers!

6. Posted June 30, 2014 at 2:42 am | Permalink

The residential camps are held on eight college campuses in the U.
    Camping tents provide shelter and protection for you when you are outdoors.
    The camp will be formatted to integrate green values into everything that children may
    do to have fun. Younger children usually do better with a day camp,
    where older children sometimes really enjoy doing an overnight camp.
    Tangle Texture Drawings – Using a black pen, Sharpie, or ink, students will
    draw a continuous line that fills the paper, weaving in and out across
    the page. Perhaps one of my favorite campfire meals is foil or “hobo” dinners.
    Even general-interest camps of brief durations often amount of money thousands.
    The rivers were used as a transport system to carry the
    logs to mills on the shores of Lake Michigan. Many people
    prepare their own taxes, believe it or not.
    In hockey camp, the players undergo skating drills in order
    to promote their agility and balance while being under duress.

7. Posted July 1, 2014 at 7:32 am | Permalink

The people of Detroit are resilient, resolute & resourceful & this has given this city
    a more dynamic population than a lot of people thought possible a couple of years ago.
    Training, training, and more training is the only way to keep abreast of the many variables of property management.
    Expired listings and short sales are just 2 of the many ways in which a good Realtor and you can support each other’s businesses.

The principle owner of the hotel – Forest City Commercial
    Group – pays rent to the authority. Designing the structure and delineating the ground statutes for
    regulating for instance app is valued as the UI
    understanding of a customer should not dissent from piece
    of paper to page. There are several conditions that can cause tsunamis.
    He receives the tax benefits of being able to
    depreciate 100% of the building and fixtures. Your premises happens to be appraised on a standard basis baseded upon suggestions from tenants and the needed class
    corrections suggested to increase the attraction and value of the property.
    Goulettass vary from sixteen to 35 m in size and have giant ahead and aft
    decks, best for sun bathing. Those events have killed thousands of birds over the years and injured several thousand others.

8. Posted July 16, 2014 at 9:11 am | Permalink

I researched the top reasons why individuals experience hair loss.
    For most of the reason which causes the hair loss problem, that is the stress,
    change your own lifestyle to be stress-free, afterward
    you could prevent the baldness to happen. Regular use of tomato paste on the hair and
    scalp on a weekly basis can really help to stop hair fall.

9. Posted July 21, 2014 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

We’ve seen a side of [our child] that we’ve never seen before.
    The camp instructor will take you through a routine that challenge you.

People enjoy a party or social gathering where they can relax and chat with others while learning more about what you do.
    After a good two hours we were allowed another break,
    a lunch break. Summer camps in New York are run by various organizations.
    Kids like me rebelled at the idea that we had to sing at a set time and not by our own personal clocks.
    Are you sitting in your office waiting for the phone to ring or
    are you getting out in the world where people can learn more about you and your business.
    My great grandfather essentially worked alone and he preferred that to the cantankerous behavior of some of the other men. Their products
    include daypacks, hydration packs and multi-day packs.
    These comprise everything from art and music to science.

10. Posted July 21, 2014 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

The HCG hormone enables them to have control of their appetite, which makes it possible for
    them to carry on using the HCG diet. Homeopaths point out it really is electro-magnetic dunes through the
    active component it the moment contained. Lastly, if
    you decide HCG is right for you, I will show you where you can order HCG quickly
    an easily. Most of the people careful about their regular meal but they are very slapdash about their favorite food.
    There are also a lot of fake products out there that do not contain real HCG.
    It is the most recommended in home test for pregnancy
    today. You might have heard about HCG injections that help you lose excess fat quickly when h – CG
    is injected. Therefore, if you are interested to try the h – CG weight loss program, you should find out the problems that may arise from following the h – CG diet and its side effects.
    This is not something to be overly concerned about due
    to the fact that it is mostly harmless and will
    usually stop after the birth of your baby.
    I get that this isn’t straightforward, however it is so
    essential in your accomplishment with HCG, when you
    see the incredible amounts of body weight you drop within a day, you will
    use your everyday weighing as inspiration you need to stay in the course.

11. Posted July 22, 2014 at 3:30 am | Permalink

I’m not one for quick fixes or weight loss supplements because I know exercising is
    the only answer, but I would be lying if I said I never thought
    about dietary supplements, one in particular, Garcinia Cambogia extract.
    Begin sleeping 7 – 8 hours per evening, every night.

And the best part of it all is that this can be achieved without really subjecting the average human body to comprehensive
    dietary concepts and exhausting exercise regimes. The sufferer requirements one
    among these signs for being thought to possess sleeplessness.
    It helps you to feel full without adding many calories in your diet.
    Belly fat is often caused by emotional eating, which can be stress related.
    Another natural herb that can be located in India and some pats
    of Africa is Gymnema. Although Pedia – Lean’s manufacturers said that it was “prove” to be safe and effective,
    the company’s science was very poorly designed.
    This article is geared to those who firmly want to develop a fitness program.

If you visit the site you will see you can also benefit from a special offer to save over 30%
    when purchasing the Pure Garcinia Cambogia Extract with HCA and
    a purchase guarantee, which means you can get your money back if you are not
    completely satisfied with the product.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 5,722 other followers